Perhaps, in the end, the roles have reversed and suddenly women are the ones who only think about sex.
I'm talking about the phenomenon 50 Shades of Grey, a novel that emerged of a fan fiction of Twilight.
And we all know how much I love Twilight.
Example:
Since it's mass publication, 50 Shades of Grey has taken then throne of the Best Seller's list in Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and even the New York Times.
Why?
Some might say curiosity, others to the simple fact that sex sells. But that's only for men...right?
Clearly not.
I believe the popularity of 50 Shades of Grey is in response the recent trend of, "mommy porn".
Don't worry. For all parties involved, we will keep this within the Samford Values Conduct as much as possible.
Also, one might think this is more of a social/moral issue than a commentary on
media. But media is what drives it. Media sells sex, plain and simple. And now, men aren't the ones who this method is appealing to.
I'm talking about dolphins.
Just kidding.Women are just as susceptible.
The truth is, we go around accusing men of having porn addictions and acting like pigs, blah blah blah blah. And I'm not saying porn addiction isn't a problem. It is. I'm just saying it's a two way street.
If 50 Shades of Grey has done anything, it has in fact brought to light that women... well, need 'that stimulating visual' as much as men. Women just have a different kind of porn (don't worry, the link is a clip from 30 Rock).
A woman's version of porn is about getting attention from her significant other, having him dote obsessively on her, make waffles in the morning, know just what to say, and apparently creep outside her window and watch her all night.
The difference between the concept of Liz Lemon's fantasy or the typical Disney prince ideal, and 50 Shades of Grey is that 50 Shades of Grey is far more sexual (is that a word I can use without getting thrown out? Hope so.) It's downright scandalous in some cases. I mean, who would have thought that women indulged in that behavior?
Well, this sexually driven "porn for women" has been under our noses all along.
Actually, not even under our noses---right in front of our eyes.
Look at the cover of any Cosmo magazine. What do you see?
I'm not saying Playboy or Cosmo is acceptable by any means (think of the CHILDREN). I'm saying it's a double standard for women get upset over men looking at porn, and then there is HIS NUMBER ONE SEX FANTASY posted in caps next to an enticing celebrity.
Don't even get me started on what's inside.
It's just the same as any magazine that is labelled 'porn'.
Plus, with 50 Shades of Grey as the ultimate mommy porn, the so called novel's vast readership in women only proves women are just as guilty as men when it comes to having blatant sexual desires (again, please don't kick me out). 50 Shades has just made the behavior even more commercialized and acceptable. For women, that is.
Meanwhile, men are still forced to hide behind closed doors in front of their computer screens.
You might say, "Well that's different."
It really isn't.
So porn skews men's view of women? That they all should be big busted and submissive and most importantly, satisfying in bed (the nicest thing I can write without risking getting kicked off campus moreso than I have)?
Well now, women expect men to have big bank accounts, be submissive, and also be satisfying in bed, just like Edward from Twilight and the main guy from 50 Shades of Grey. Both mysterious, wealthy men who are fit and sexually satisfying... kind of like certain porn stars. (No links provided).
The difference is, women can flaunt their wronged expectations in the open-- men can't.
If a man wrote 50 Shades of Grey, feminist would burn him at the stake. It was a woman however, who concocted this little piece of erotic literature. Therefore, it's ok?
Apparently so, because the media doesn't bat an eyelid or criticize women for having outlandish sexual (I'm getting thrown out for sure) expectations, and that's just wrong.
Females should be held as accountable as men for reigning in their sexual desire. I'm not saying women shouldn't be allowed to show their ankles, but ladies, come on.
Don't look down on men as purely sexual beings when you're not all that innocent, either. Just because the media justifies your behavior, and it's not labelled as porn, or given a nice name such as 'mommy porn', doesn't make it any less wrong than men watching what you deem as 'actual porn'. Men can be just as insecure, too.
The media, particularly it's response to 50 Shades of Grey, has brought to light what women are really thinking (not that it's been a secret), and put them on the same level as men.
It will be interesting to see how the porn industry reacts to this sudden craze. I mean, can a woman really protest to her husband watching porn, when she herself reads a novel dealing with S&M? It's like the yogurt dilemma all over again. Except women don't want to be judged for different reasons-- they don't want to be put on the same level as men when it comes to sex. They want to see themselves as in control of their desire.
Except, clearly, ladies we aren't. Or not as much as they thought they could be. Again, the media, particularly with newest release of 50 Shades of Grey, has proven this point.
To lighten the mood, I think I'll end this post with more examples of how much I love Twilight.





You are so right about Cosmo (and many other women's magazines) as being women's porn. SO right!
ReplyDelete